About .so Domains
Nic.so is the sponsor and Hexonet aka 1 Api GmbH is our backend provider for the country-code top-level domain name (ccTLD) .so extension that represents Republic of Somalia.
Who can register .so domains?
Important Note: Due to registry complications, effective June 6, 2015, GoDaddy is no longer accepting registrations or incoming transfers for the .so extentions. If you already owned a .so domain with GoDaddy prior to June 6, 2015, you can continue to renew your existing .so domain name. Renewals will be limited to a 1 year term only.
When registering a .so domain, you must follow specific requirements.
- Must use: 3 - 63 Characters (.so, com.so, net.so), 2 - 63 Characters (org.so)
- Can use: Letters (a-z characters), numbers (0-9) and hyphens (except in the 1st or last characters or consecutive)
- Cannot use: Special Characters (e.g.,& and #)
- IDNs: Not supported
- Registration length: Not supported
- Renewal length: 1 year
- Your .so domain name renews on its expiration date. Auto-renewal is attempted on the domain name's expiration date. If the renewal attempt fails, we re-attempt renewal 5 days later and again 7 days after that.
- If we cannot auto-renew the domain name and you do not manually renew it by the 12th day after the expiration date, it must be redeemed. There might be a fee for the redemption. See Renew my expired domain for more information.
- Backorders: Not supported
- Transfers to GoDaddy: Not supported
- Must use: 1 - 63 (org.so only)
- Transfers away from GoDaddy: Supported
- Transfer Lock: Supported
- Transfers to another GoDaddy account: Supported
- Transfers between accounts may take up to 5 days to complete.
- Basic privacy protection: Supported
- Protection plan upgrades: Not Supported
- CashParking: Supported
- Contact Updates: Supported
- Must use: 2-13 Nameservers
- Can use: IPv4
- Cannot use: IPv6, DNSSEC
For details on refunds, see our refund policy. Most domains will follow the Standard Refund Terms, but certain domains may have exceptions or may not be refundable at all. Review the information under Products with Special Refund Terms, and then Domain Name Registrations/Renewals and Products Not Eligible for Refunds.
- Check out our most common domain articles to get started with your .so domain.