Change a domain in WordPress
Follow the steps below to update your WordPress site to use a new domain name. After changing the domain in WordPress, you may also need to update the domain on the hosting account.
If you have a Managed WordPress account, skip these steps and update the domain in your hosting interface.
- Sign in to WordPress.
- On the left side menu, select Settings > General.
- Update the following fields with the new domain name:
- WordPress Address (URL)
- Site Address (URL)
Site address and WordPress address are usually the same for standard WordPress installations.
- Scroll down and select Save Changes.
Now you need to update the domain name within your hosting control panel for Linux Hosting with cPanel or Windows Hosting with Plesk.
- If your new domain is registered in a different account or with a third party, you can find your new IP address on your Linux or Windows hosting account, so you can update the DNS. Most DNS updates take effect within an hour, but it can sometimes take up to 48 hours to update globally.
- Changing the site URL
- If you still see instances of the old domain on your site, you can replace them with a plugin.
- If you don't want to change the domain yourself, our WordPress Premium Support team can do that for you.