Change an A record
Edit an A record in your GoDaddy zone file if you need to update where your domain is pointing. Changes to an existing A record may cause your website or email service to be temporarily interrupted. If you're trying to change your www record, you'll need to edit your CNAME record instead.
You can watch a short animation of this task farther down the page.
- Log in to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
- Select your domain to access the Domain Settings page.
- Select Manage DNS under Additional Settings. You won't be able to view your records if you see the message We can't display your DNS information because your nameservers aren't managed by us. Change your nameservers to manage DNS with GoDaddy.
- Select the pencil icon next to the A record you need to edit.
Note: Don't see the pencil icon? Check these settings or products:
• Do you own Search Engine Visibility? Our GoDaddy Guides are here to help.
• Is domain forwarding enabled on the domain?
• Is the domain connected to a 3rd-party site (e.g., Squarespace or LinkedIn)? Visit that site to disconnect it, or remove the connection.
• Is a firewall turned on in Website Security? Edit your IP address
- Edit the details for your A record:
- Host: The host name the A record links to. Type @ to point directly to your domain name. Or, change a subdomain prefix from store.coolexample.com to shop.coolexample.com.
- Points to: The IP address you are setting as the destination for the host. This is often the IP address of your hosting account.
- TTL: How long the server should cache DNS information. The default setting is 1 hour.
- Select Save to complete your changes.
Most users will see DNS changes very quickly, but it may take up to 48 hours for some users.
Show me how
- Change your nameservers to manage DNS with GoDaddy.
- Add a new A record or delete one you're no longer using.