Fix my WordPress site when it's experiencing a critical error
When a plugin or a theme is incompatible with your WordPress site, it can prevent the site from displaying content. Instead, your site displays a notification that it's experiencing a critical error.
You can fix the issue from your WordPress dashboard, even if it's not loading properly, because of the WordPress feature called recovery mode. Follow the steps below to get your site back online.
Note: If your WordPress site is older than version 5.2 you'll see a blank white screen instead of the critical error, and you need to investigate the issue with FTP.
- Check the inbox of the email address for your WordPress administrator account for a message: "Your Site is Experiencing a Technical Issue." If you don't see the message, check the spam/junk folder.
- In the email text, find the link to the WordPress recovery mode sign in page.
- Enter your WordPress admin username and password and then select Log In.
- In the WordPress dashboard, at the top, there's a notification about what went wrong.
- If the error is caused by a plugin, you'll see the following notification: One or more plugins failed to load properly. Then, from the left-side menu, select Plugins and deactivate the faulty plugin.
- If the error is caused by the active theme, you'll see the following notification: One or more themes failed to load properly. In this case, from the left-side menu, select Themes and activate a different theme.
Warning: If you change a theme while troubleshooting a critical error, it affects the way your site looks and functions, but it provides a quick fix for errors caused by a faulty theme. It can help get your site back online, but it will look different.
- If you're using the Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browsers, you can enable incognito or private browsing to check if your site is working properly.
- If the issue is resolved, go back to the WordPress dashboard, and in the top-right corner, select Exit recovery mode.
- If you need to continue using a problematic plugin or theme, update it to the latest version and then enable it. If the error appears again, try the following: