Legacy Gen 4 VPS platform end of support
One or more of your Gen 4 VPS servers is running on a legacy platform that will be retired near the end of 2023. To ensure the highest level of security and performance for your server, all Gen 4 servers on this legacy platform will need to be migrated and upgraded to Optimized Hosting.
Select a question to see its answer:
- Is my server on the legacy platform?
- What should I do next?
- What if I don’t proactively migrate?
- How will the automated migration work?
- What will change after the automated migration?
- What if GoDaddy is unable to automatically migrate my server?
- How can I opt out of this migration?
Is my server on the legacy platform?
You can find out if your server is on the legacy platform by checking a notification in your messaging center in your server’s dashboard.
- Sign in to your GoDaddy product page.
- In your My Products page, select Servers.
- Next to the Gen 4 server you want to use, select Manage.
- Under Message Center, look for the notification.
What should I do next?
We strongly recommend you take this opportunity to proactively migrate yourself to a new server, which will have the latest hardware. Proactive migration allows you to move on your own schedule. We realize this may be an inconvenience, and to help with this effort we are offering a 1 month free coupon for a new server as you self-migrate. Contact our GoDaddy Guides to see if you qualify.
What if I don’t proactively migrate?
If you choose not to self-migrate, we'll automatically migrate your server to Optimized Hosting. Migrations are expected to begin in August 2023 and run through the year. You'll receive an email with your migration date at least five days in advance.
How will the automated migration work?
Once the migration begins, an email will be sent to the address in your Contact Preferences, and a banner will appear in your server dashboard. Your server dashboard will be inaccessible during the migration. The downtime will depend on the size of your server and could take multiple hours. You'll be informed by email once the migration is complete.
What will change after an automated migration?
- Server Backups: Automated backups will change from 1 weekly backup to 7 days of backups. Backups that were in your legacy hosting dashboard before the migration will no longer be available.
- Operating System (OS): Your current operating system will continue running after the automated migration. After a server rebuild, only supported operating systems will be available.
- Gen 4 Linux: Ubuntu 20.04, CentOS 7, Alma Linux 8, or Alma Linux 9.
- Gen 4 Windows: Windows Server 2019 or 2022.
- Data center: If your server is hosted in our US-East data center, it will be migrated to our US-West data center.
- IP addresses: There will be no changes to your IP addresses for your server.
- Price: There will be no change in price for your server.
- Monitoring: Domains will need to be re-added, and logged metrics prior to migration will no longer be available.
What if GoDaddy can't automatically migrate my server?
Due to the complexity involved, we can't guarantee all automated migration attempts will be successful. Servers that can't be automatically migrated will eventually need to be deleted. If your server can't be automatically migrated, we'll notify you about 1 month before your deletion date. As a part of this process, these servers will also be suspended about 1 week before their deletion date.
Servers that receive a deletion notice are strongly recommended to self-migrate to a new server as soon as possible. You can contact our GoDaddy Guides for a 1 month free coupon for a new server and to learn about our paid migration services.
How can I opt out of this migration?
If you no longer require your VPS server, you can opt out.
- If you want to keep your data, download a backup of your hosting to your computer using SSH, WHM, or Plesk.
- Delete your product in your GoDaddy account.
- If you delete your product during a billing period, you can request a refund.
- Migrate a cPanel account to my server using cPanel and WHM.
- Go to Plesk for information on migrating via the Plesk Interface.