Password protect directories in cPanel hosting
If you want to restrict access to directories on your website, you can use your hosting account's built-in password protection feature.
Note: This feature does not offer a typical member login experience like a bank or retail site. Features like that require databases and are much more complex.
To password protect directories
- In cPanel, in the Files area, click Directory Privacy.
- Select a directory to open (not the directory you want to use), and then click Go.
- Click the directory you want to use.
- Select Password protect this directory.
- Enter a Name of the protected directory, and then click Save.
After protecting the directory, you need to add users that can log in to it.
To create users
- Complete the fields in the Create User section.
- Click Save.
Now, when browsing to that directory, only visitors that can enter a username and password combination can view its content.