Set up the Microsoft Authenticator app
The Microsoft Authenticator app helps prevent unauthorized access to your email account. When you sign in, the app confirms it's really you, making sure your essential information remains secure. Add the Authenticator app on up to 5 devices.
Step 1: Open the Authenticator app
- If you haven't already, install the Microsoft Authenticator app for iOS or Android.
Note: If your device doesn't support the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, open your app store and search for "Microsoft Authenticator."
- Open the Microsoft Authenticator app.
- If you see a privacy statement, select I agree.
- You might need to select Add account, and then select Work or school account. If not, continue to the next step.
- Select Scan a QR code (allow the app to take a picture at this time).
Step 2: Scan the QR code
- Go to your Security info page.
- If you can't sign in, select Next. Then continue to the next step.
- If you can sign in, select Add method. Select Authenticator app from the list, and then select Add.
Step 3: Add a phone number
You might need to enter your phone number if it isn't already added as sign-in method.
- Enter a phone number, select Text me a code or Call me, and then select Next.
- Enter the code and then select Next.
- After your phone's verified, select Next.
- You'll see a success message. Select Done.
Your email account will appear under Authenticator in the app, and you'll see Microsoft Authenticator on the Security info page. Now you're ready to use the Authenticator app to confirm your identity when signing in or setting up email.
- I can't access my multi-factor authentication method
- Add or change my multi-factor authentication method