Header video best practices
Header videos are different than other videos. Here are some best practices specifically for videos in your header or if you decide to create your own customized header video.
- There is no sound in header videos so that it doesn’t distract the user or increase the time it takes for the page to load. If you want the video to play with sound, then add a video section to your site.
- The best videos for headers are short loops (about 30 seconds maximum). If your video is very short (less than 5 seconds), try to make the beginning and ending scenes similar so it’s not jarring when the video jumps back to the beginning of the loop.
- The most effective videos help you:
- Set a mood. Show what life is like behind the scenes, or what it’s like to interact with your employees from the customer’s point of view.
- Showcase your products. Show people using your products so customers can imagine what it’s like for themselves. Or do a digital flythrough to highlight your product’s best features.
- Set the scene. Take your audience on an adventure, especially if you are an event planner or in hospitality. Or give a tour of your shop, spa, restaurant, or cafe.
- Videos should be fairly simple and movement should be smooth and fluid, not choppy or too active.
- Use videos purposefully. They are very good at drawing attention, but shouldn’t distract from the rest of your site.
- Make sure the color of your site content doesn’t blend in with the colors in your video. Otherwise your text is hard to read over the background.
- Avoid text overlay in the video so there are no additional visual distractions.
- Adding text in your header fields instead of in the video helps your site get found in search results.
- Now that you know the best practices, you're ready to add a video to your site header.
- Learn more about the partnership between Vimeo and GoDaddy and how it allows you to upload your own videos.
- Connect my GoDaddy account to Vimeo to upload additional videos, edit your videos and configure your video player settings.
- Don't have a video? Create a customized video from video clips and images.
- Need to add a video that has too much action for the background? Or want to add a YouTube video? Add a video section.